Destiny is not a matter of chance, it is a matter of Choice.

Success is a journey, not the destination.

Wednesday, April 8, 2015

Hairdressers and Salons.

You & Your Hairdresser

A hairdresser cutting a clients hair.

Best Hairdressers Really Do Care

Last night my husband and I watched the movie “Barbershop” a warmhearted, life affirming, comedy set primarily in a barbershop on Chicago’s south side. Calvin Palmer (Ice Cube) owns the barbershop, having inherited it from his father two years ago. Of the seven hairdressers who work in the shop, five are black males, one is a black female, and one is a white male.
I really liked the dialog in “Barbershop,” and for me the lively talk inside the shop is the best thing about the film. It brought me back to my early days working my first hair salon, my relationship with clients and my fellow hairdressers was like a second family. A real sense of pride that I felt as a hairdresser. I had the opportunity, daily, to make a difference in people’s lives.
The best hairdressers know that if you feel good about the way you look, you will feel good about yourself in general – that’s powerful stuff! There aren’t a lot of careers that provide an opportunity to have this intimate connection with so many people. Quite frankly I really miss that part of my hairdresser experiences.
The best hairdressers want to make a positive impact upon every single client who comes to them for a haircut, perm or hair color job. When a hairdresser knows that they are making a real difference in your life, they will pull out all of the stops and give you their very best in skill and talent.
If you make your hairdresser feel like they are an important part of your life, you will maximize this important relationship. That means giving them some positive feedback from time to time. I’m not talking about condescending compliments when none are due. But good solid feed back about what is going right with your hair style. There must be some good or you wouldn’t keep going back. If by chance you have trouble finding positive feedback maybe then it is time to find someone else.
The best hairdressers have the technical skill of course, but just as important is their CONCERN for your well-being. Your feelings don’t lie. My favorite customers made an effort to connect with me too! But it was very hard to do my very best on a client who was constantly nit-picking, whining and complaining and finding fault. Those types of clients made the day very long.
Realistically, they may not hit a home run every time, but if you’re feeling good about your look most of the time –you’ve probably got a best hairdresser and a friend. TELL THEM.

Share this article

No comments:

Post a Comment